So, what have I been doing? And, further more, what will I be doing? Initially, this was going to be in a Seussian format, but I felt that was a little ambitious.
Where I’m Going
It’s the new year (and, truthfully, it’s actually well into the new year), and, like everyone and there dog (and cat), I have new years resolutions. What, you ask, are my new years resolutions?
- anal-retentive dental care. I’ve, admittedly, been a bit lax in the area of flossing and listerining (ok, that’s not a word. But, it should be — especially the citrus listerine, which is awesome). But, no more! Since before the new year, I’ve been brushing/flossing/listerining twice a day, every day! And, regular dentists visits! I’ve had the first one in years, and I’ll have one in six months! Or else!
- Like Stanek, I want to get out of bed on a regular (early) basis, and get to campus at a regular time. This has, so far, been a failing proposition. I did well this morning, but yesterday? Yeah… no. Hopefully this will improve now that classes have started up, and I have places to be (things to do, as well).
- Get Things Done. I should get something done every day, whether it’s read a paper, work on my dissertation proposal, fix something for work. Something. This, a la Eldan shouldn’t be a chore.
- Write some cool software. This definitely isn’t a chore. The problem is, I have a million-and-one ideas, and I rarely follow through on them. Well, this is my resolution to follow through on some of them. I’ve been playing with python and web frameworks and java, and it’s really enjoyable. I should do more of it. Therefore… I will.
- Exercise More. ’nuff said.
- Update my blog more. I should update my blog at least weekly. Which, hey.. stop laughing! I know I say this every year. This year’s different! Honest! No, really! Hmph.
Where I’ve Been
So, that’s where I’m going. I’m sure you want to know where I’m going. Last semester ended pretty successfully. I feel like I didn’t get quite as much work done as I wanted to, but it ended, and it was good. I spent Christmas and New Years at home (photos are coming!), and that was nice and relaxing. I finished My Name is Red, and I’ve started Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime: From the Sedition Act of 1798 to the War on Terrorism .
I’ve slowly been getting my life organized. I’ve got todo lists that things get crossed off of, I’ve got a calendar that reminds me of stuff, I’ve got source code repositories that store substantial parts of my life. All in all, I think I’m going in roughly the right direction. It could be better, but I suppose I’ve got to start somewhere.